Face it. Store bought butter is laden with preservatives, loaded with calories, and not that great for you. Making it yourself isn’t just better tasting, but better all around. It’s one of my favorite home made food items too. It’s really easy and not terribly expensive to do.
You will need:
- 1 quart of organic heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
That’s it? Yep! That’s all you need. Let’s get to it.
- Pour the quart of heavy cream into a mixer bowl and fit the mixer with the paddle attachment. Add your salt. Cover the mixer with a towel and turn mixer on high. Trust me, you’ll want the towel.
- Continue mixing. Check the mixture frequently to make sure the consistency is right. It’ll look like whipped cream at first, but start to get grainy and separate into butter and butter milk. Your butter is ready when it clumps onto the paddle of the mixer.
- Place your butter into a colander and strain off the buttermilk. Also, this is how you make buttermilk.
- Press out the extra buttermilk under cold running water. You’ll know it’s all clear when the water runs clear. Shape it into a ball and keep in the refrigerator, The butter will keep for about a month.