“Why am I hungry … like all of the time?” Is that a question you’re asking a lot lately? That’s because weight loss is a bit more complicated than “calories in, calories out.” While that is certainly important, getting your hormones under control is key to stifle an out-of-control appetite.
Luckily, you’re not destined for a life of counting calories (and feeling starved all the time). Eating well, exercising and moving more during the day are key ways to lose weight. But there are other ways to start chipping away at those last few pounds, too. Here are some weird things that make you hungry. And how to start taking steps to reverse overeating …
Why Am I Hungry? 3 Weird Triggers
Eating salt makes you thirsty, right? Nope. A team of researchers from Vanderbilt University found that while excess salt intake can make you thirsty initially, after that your body actually starts producing and storing more of its own water. This forces the body to actually use a lot of fuel to break down muscle mass, fueling your hunger. This breakthrough finding changes what we know about salt and hunger and sheds new light on overeating and its harmful side effects.
If you’re looking to lose weight fast, getting your salt intake under control is key.
2. Air Conditioning
There’s also a theory that air condition primes our body for overeating and weight gain. People seem to eat more in cold temperatures. Why? The body’s trying to stay warm. I get using air conditioning to avoid extreme and dangerous heat, but I wouldn’t make air conditioning a habit if you’re trying to lose weight.
3. Certain Drugs
Certain medications could be fueling your appetite. Some allergy meds, insulin, steroids and even some blood pressure meds and anti-depressants are known to trigger hunger and weight gain. While you shouldn’t just get off of your meds without talking to your doctor, healing leaky gut can go a long way in actually reversing allergies and a long list of other symptoms. (Rather than just covering them up.) Working on gut repair can begin the process of healing the root cause of many ailments.
How to Get Your Hunger Under Control
You can take several approaches to get reset your food cravings — and finally have some solutions for your “Why I am hungry?” question. You may want to work with your doctor to ID any hormone imbalances. But regardless of that, here are other things you can do:
- Work natural appetite suppressants into your routine. These include green tea extract, spicy foods, saffron extract and high-fiber foods.
- Learn how to work with grapefruit essential oil. Just the scent of grapefruit oil excites sympathetic nerves that supply the brown adipose tissue and adrenal glands, which may help stimulate weight loss.
- Exercise regularly. Mix it up with burst training and other forms of exercise you enjoy.
- Eat foods that balance your hormones naturally. Avocados are at the top of that list.
Final Thoughts On the Question, “Why Am I Always Hungry?”
- There are a number of surprising things that could be causing you to overeat.
- Too much salt doesn’t make you thirsty, it actually triggers your body to produce and store more water, which takes lot of energy and makes you even hungrier.
- Getting enough sleep, eating foods that balance your hormones and choosing appetite-suppressing foods and spices can help you avoid overeating.
- Simple smelling grapefruit essential oil can actually help promote weight loss and lower hunger levels.