So what you’re thinking is probably what I thought the first time I read about this too. Pouring honey into your hair and washing with it? Sounds messy. But this honey shampoo is nothing like that.
There are some clear benefits to washing your hair with honey shampoo. The slightly acidic nature of honey helps prevent dandruff, is antibacterial and anti-fungal, reduces oiliness and frizz, and softens the hair. To start with, we’ll make enough shampoo for one use. This shampoo does spoil, so I wouldn’t make more than a day’s worth at a time.
You will need:
- Raw honey
- Filtered water
- A few drops of essential oil (optional)
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw honey to three tablespoons of filtered water. If it comes out exceptionally water, that’s fine! It’s supposed to be like that. You can heat the mixture a bit to dissolve the honey if it’s being persistent.
- At this point, add a few drops of a favorite essential oil. It’s not necessary though. I typically don’t.
- To wash, wet hair, then massage a few tablespoons of the shampoo onto your scalp.
- Rinse and repeat if need be.