If you’ve been in a relationship with your significant other for more than a few years, you may have noticed that it can be difficult to keep the romance alive.
While you may think the key is grand romantic gestures or constantly changing things up, the solution may actually be simpler than that. It’s called the 2-2-2 rule, and ensures you never stop “dating” your partner. Sounds fun, right?
The suggestion comes courtesy of a Reddit thread about the best relationship advice out there. Reddit user ckernan2 says he and his wife came up with the simple formula for romantic success on their wedding night. The 2-2-2 rule consists of three easy steps:
- Every 2 weeks, go out for the evening.
- Every 2 months, go out for the weekend.
- Every 2 years, go out for a week.
Although the idea sounds reasonable at first glance, we all know that life can get busy. Not to mention: Who has the money to take a weekend getaway every two months? Especially if there are childcare costs involved.
If the 2-2-2 Rule seems too daunting for you to follow, Lifehacker notes that you can adjust the numbers to fit your lifestyle and time constraints. But experts agree, it’s important to prioritize your relationship. If you’re tired of the same old dinner-and-a-movie routine, break out of your rut and try some new date ideas.
Looking for even more relationship advice? The original Reddit thread is brimming with ideas. Some of our faves include:
- Don’t relay on your partner to make you happy. True happiness comes from within, and strong relationships just improve upon that.
- Try sleeping in separate beds. Sounds unconventional, but hey, absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?
- Never go to bed angry. If this sounds like cliched advice, it’s because it’s true!
- Always apologize after a fight. Communication and forgiveness are key.
- Marry your best friend.
- Make sure you each have your own interests and friends outside of the relationship.
Remember, there is no one secret to the “perfect” relationship. Make sure to have realistic expectations, and you’ll always be lucky in love!