Teenage Boy Presumed Dead Wakes Up On The Way To His Own Funeral

A 17-year-old boy woke up on the way to his own funeral in India after his family assumed a lethal dog bite had killed him.

Kumar Marewad was bitten by a stray dog last month and was taken to hospital in a critical condition.

His health deteriorated quickly and last week doctors told his family he would not survive being taken off life support and the decision was made to pull the plug.

Relatives believed he died when he stopped breathing, so decided to take the teenager straight for his funeral, but he woke up en route.

Kumar’s brother-in-law Sharanappa Naikar told the Times of India: ‘We had decided to take Kumar home after doctors told us his chances of survival were bleak once taken off the ventilator.’

His fever was high last week and an infection had spread throughout the teenager’s body.

When they decided to pull him off life support, the relatives realised he had stopped moving and breathing.

They presumed he was dead and went to perform his last rites.

But just more than a mile from the village where the funeral was planned, he opened his eyes and started hyperventilating.

Kumar was taken back to hospital and Dr Mahesh Neelakhantannavar told the Times of India: ‘Kumar is on ventilator.

‘We suspect he is suffering from meningoencephalitis, an infection caused due to dog bite.’

Kumar’s parents Ningappa and Manjula, are labourers, and told the paper the youngster had stopped attending school in order to support the family.