1. If you’ve ever seen someone with a red string tattoo on their pinky finger, you have likely only found one half of a pair.
Couples in love will sometimes show their deep affection for one another by each getting a tattoo of the Red String of Fate. But the meaning behind these strings goes much deeper than a shared love of finger tattoos.
2. The Red String of Fate first appears in ancient Chinese legend.
According to the story, the Chinese gods would tie invisible string around the ankles of two people that fate would one day bring together. The invisible string would be their way of finding one another.
3. Japanese culture adapted this myth, with their tradition believing that the string was tied around the pinky fingers of two lovers who were destined to meet.
4. Similar to the concept of soulmates, the string — tied on by the gods of love — would keep two souls connected no matter where they went or how far apart they were.
If time or circumstance separated the two lovers, they would still be able to find their way back to one another.
5. Today, inspired by the beauty of the red string, couples are getting little red strings tattooed on their pinky fingers.
These tattoos symbolize the strong bond and connection that exists between the pair. The string shows that they will remain connected in their love wherever they go.
According to legend, the string will stretch and stretch, but it will never break.
6. The Red String of Fate is not only a lovely myth, but it has inspired couples around the world to express their love as undying and unbreakable.
While the manner in which people say “I love you” is extremely personal, this heartwarming concept is certainly something that we all can appreciate as a beautiful way to show love.
7. The story behind these red string pinky tattoos is absolutely beautiful. Watch the video below for an even deeper look at the Red String of Fate.