Take just a little time during the day and enjoy the ancient art of acupressure, and you will quickly be amazed of how it can relieve stress and prevent and alleviate numerous ailments, including flu and colds.
In this article we give you some useful tips on how to apply some pressure on a particular area of the hand and alleviate sore throat, cough, runny nose and pain.
Unlike acupuncture, where you have to get needles inserted into a certain point of your body, acupressure covers the entire surface, and has a stimulating effect on the entire body.
And you can do it all by yourself.
Step one: Relax
- Before you start, make yourself comfortable in a chair or armchair.
- Do not cross your legs.Breathe evenly.
- Warm up your hands well, rubbing them together for about a minute, to increase the energy and make them more sensitive.
- Grasp the opposite hand and place your hands on your thighs.
- Start stimulating the desired acupuncture point.
- If you feel any pain during the massage, do not forget to inhale and exhale slowly and deeply.
What area of your fingers to massage?
Cold: massage the first section of the tip of your thumb, to stimulate the nose and throat.
This type of massage relieves respiratory problems and difficulties swallowing, nasal congestion, cough.
Sore throat (pharyngitis and laryngitis): Stimulate the lower part of the thumb, to relieve sore throat, difficulty swallowing, hoarseness and other symptoms.
Pain in the sinuses and sinusitis: the points that correspond to sinus cavities are located at the tips of all four fingers except the thumb. Massage these points as close as you can to the tips of the nails.
This relieves pain in the sinuses, headache, dizziness, feeling of pressure in the head, stuffy nose and difficulty breathing and it also stimulates the secretion of mucus.
Influenza: apply some pressure on the pads of all fingers.
This relieves pain in muscles and the entire body, and provides a relaxing and soothing effect.
For a better effect, gently massage the delicate skin between the toes, as this stimulates the lymphatic system.
You will also stimulate the elimination of excess fluids and toxins from the body.
How does acupressure help your body?
Acupressure has several effects on the body:
- Prevention: Applying regular pressure on the main acupuncture points helps in maintain good health and it can aid in the prevention and development of certain diseases
- Diagnostic effect: Great discomfort or pain while pressuring certain points may indicate another problem, related to the function of a particular organ
- Therapeutic effect: Systematic and regular stimulation can improve overall health
The most important benefit of acupressure is its ability to relieve tension, because the pressure on certain points directly affects relaxation and restores body balance.
The general state of the organism improves greatly, because the massage stimulates circulation and oxygen flow.
This stimulates the creation of lymph which regulates the elimination of harmful substances from the body and affects the creation of immune cells.
The application of acupressure stimulates the excretion of substances in the body that trigger pain.
Also, it can eliminate any blockages in the flow of life energy, and thus helps the body start its self-healing process.
Therefore, try to find some free time to pamper yourself with this ancient gift. It is simple and inexpensive, and your body will be more than grateful.