Cracked heels are a sign of lack of attention to foot care rather than just over exposure or lack of moisturizing. Read on to see how to get your heels in tip top condition for the summer.
As we expose our feet after a winter wrapped away they often look neglected and the most common problem is often unsightly cracked heels. This is not a harmful to our health except when the fissures or cracks are deep, when they tend to become painful and the skin begins to bleed. This could lead to infection and need monitoring especially for those already suffering from chronic ailments such as diabetes or who have a depleted immune system due to age or illness which may slow down the treatment of cracked heels.
Many cracked heel repair creams that are available in the market today contain a range of chemicals that can aggravate your skin and increase discomfort. So here are some popular and effective natural remedies to try at home:
• Soak your feet in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes. Dry thoroughly and then apply vegetable oil to the cracked areas of the feet. Wear a pair of thick socks – this treatment can be supercharged by leaving it on overnight. The socks will trap your body heat which will increase the effectiveness of the mixture as more of it will be absorbed by your skin. Within a few days your dry cracked areas will be nourished.
• Apply the pulp of a ripe banana on the affected area of the heel. Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse it clean. This is a simple dry cracked heels home remedy and it can be used on a daily basis to prevent and treat dry and cracked heels. Try mixing half an avocado or the flesh of half a coconut in a blender along with the banana to form a thick and creamy paste. Avocados and coconuts are rich in several essential oils and fat soluble vitamins. This nutrient rich paste will help to provide your skin with the vitamins and oils it requires to stay soft and well moisturized. This paste can be used as an effective treatment as well as a preventative measure.
• Soak the feet in lemon juice for about 10minutes. Lemon juice is a mild natural acid and helps to dissolve dead and dry skin. It is best to soak your feet in a lemon juice solution and then lightly scrub it with a loofa or soft foot brush to gently exfoliate the top layers of dead skin that cause dry cracked heels.
• Using a mixture of glycerin and rosewater will soothe and cure cracked heels.
• In severe cases it has been found that if you melt paraffin wax and mix it well with little mustard oil it can be highly effective. Apply on the cracked patches and leave on over night, again using socks if you wish. Rinse it off well in the morning. If this is done every day for maybe ten days then even the most stubborn heels can be transformed.
• Exfoliation is key in foot and heel maintenance. A homemade scrub can be made using honey, apple cider vinegar and ground rice flour. If cases where the cracks are very deep, it helps to add a spoon of olive oil or sweet almond oil to the paste. First soak your feet for 20 minutes in warm water and then gently massage them with this paste. The vinegar will help to dissolve the thickened layers of built up dead skin whilst the rice flour will gently exfoliate the top layer of dead skin. The honey and olive oil will act as natural moisturizers and will help to keep the skin on your feet soft and moisturized and this will prevent further cracking.
• For future foot maintenance try making your own ultra-moisturizing heel cream to keep your feet stay smooth. Add a few drops of lavender oil or lemon oil to a spoon of olive oil in a small bottle. Add an equal amount of water and shake. The oil/water mix will form a milky solution. Apply regularly to your feet but always shake well before use.
• Eating a diet which is rich in iron, zinc, calcium and omega 3 fats will help to maintain healthy skin renewal and avoid deficiencies which can aggravate such conditions as cracked heels.
There are many other great natural remedies so there is no excuse not to have silky soft and smooth heels from now on.
If you found this article useful, share it with your friends and family by clicking the links below or above.