Collagen is everywhere these days; in beauty creams, wrinkle fillers and even elixirs. And while that may sound crazy, it’s really not. Although your body continues to produce collagen throughout your life, overtime production degrades and decreases. By incorporating a collagen-boosting elixir into your diet, you can have healthier hair, stronger nails, more youthful skin, and yes, even feel younger!
What Is Collagen & Why Does It Matter?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies. It’s found in muscles, bones, skin, blood vessels, digestive system, and tendons. Collagen helps give your skin strength and elasticity and replaces dead skin cells. And when it comes to aching joints, collagen acts as a “glue” that helps hold your joints together.
However, your body’s collagen production naturally begins to slow with age. And with that comes wrinkles, sagging skin, and joint pains. Of course, certain lifestyle factors such as consuming too much sugar, smoking and staying out in the sun too long also contributes to depleting collagen levels.
In fact, research published in the journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology found that sagging skin, wrinkles and loss of elasticity can develop over time due to poor intake of collagen-rich foods. So, sadly, all good things must come to an end — or do they?
Does Drinking Collagen Work?
Previously, experts thought that drinking collagen wasn’t that beneficial for aging skin, because the body would quickly break it down and use it as energy. So, there was little chance for the skin absorbing it. But, recently everything changed. A 2015 study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology found through controlled clinical trials, consuming collagen peptide significantly increased skin hydration and skin density. And the effects lasted over 12 weeks!
Collagen peptides come in an odorless powder or liquid, which is easily digested. This anti-aging dietary supplement promotes youthful skin, healthier hair, and stronger nails. But, it can also put a spring in your step by helping keep your bones healthy and strong. Additionally, it supports joint health, weight management, healthy inflammation and improves sleep quality.
Where To Buy Collagen Peptides
For this recipe, we used Vital Proteins Grass Fed, Pasture Raised, Unflavored Collagen Peptides which are available from here on Amazon. Below are some more of the most popular collagen supplements.
The following recipe is a simple and effective way give yourself a collagen boost.
Blueberry, Pineapple and Collagen Peptide Elixir
Enjoy this collagen-boosting elixir in the morning for breakfast, or even as a post workout drink.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: None
- 2 cups coconut water
- 1/4 cup pineapple, organic, diced (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup blueberries, organic (fresh or frozen)
- 2 scoops collagen peptides (such as these Vital Proteins Grass Fed Pasture Raised Collagen Peptides)
- In a blender, blend together the coconut water, pineapple, and blueberries until smooth.
- Add the collagen peptides and pulse until fully mixed.
Why These Ingredients?
- The addition of coconut water is three-fold. First, it supplies the ultimate hydration, helping maintain the skin’s moisture. Second, it provides electrolytes — specifically calcium and magnesium — to maintain muscle relaxation. Magnesium also helps with the formation of serotonin, the feel-good hormone. Third, coconut water contains plant growth hormones cytokinins. Cytokinins, known as the anti-aging hormone, helps control aging suggests Bruce Fife N.D. of the Coconut Research Center.
- Pineapple gives this elixir a boost of vitamin C — an antioxidant vitamin that promotes healthy skin according to dermatological research.
- Blueberries are an excellent source of antioxidants, which is highly effective for combating age-related skin conditions.
If you’ve never tried a collagen-boosting elixir, give it a try. Your skin will thank you!