Ghostly Monk Filmed At Old Abandoned Church

A mysterious hooded monk has been caught on camera in the archway of an abandoned church which has alleged links to satanic rituals in the 1960s.

The church is thought to be about 400 years old but was abandoned as a place of worship in 1848 when a bigger church was built to serve the community.

A pair of English ghost hunters who took a trip to the abandoned Old St. Mary’s Church in Clophill, Bedfordshire, England, last week had the surprise of their lives when they seemingly captured on video what they believe to be the ghost of a hooded monk.


48-year-old Dean Johnson and his 20-year-old partner-in-training Charlie Spalding — decided to take a visit out to Old St. Mary’s church so Johnson could give Spalding some training in ghost hunting techniques and the use of equipment. While they were on the road outside leading up to the church, Spalding decided to stop for a moment to check out the camera on his cell phone, when they allegedly captured the video of ghost monk.

“We had been standing on the public road outside the church for 10 minutes and my partner Charlie was testing the camera on his phone. We hadn’t even had a chance to set up our three cameras with their tripods.”

The amateur ghost hunter said that when Spalding looked back on the footage, they were both shocked to see what appeared to be the ghost of what he called a hooded monk walking past an archway of the church. According to the Daily Mail, the pair rushed to the church to see if it was perhaps a person, rather than a ghost, walking through the abandoned building, but it was empty.

“We rushed back to the church but there was no-one there. The tower was locked so whatever it was was heading to a dead end.”

After researching the parish, dad-of-one Dean, found that in the 1960s there were numerous satanic rituals taking place at the church.

These included, digging up bones, arranging them in satanic patterns and the area was also apparently linked to devil worship.

It came to media attention in March 1963 when one night satanic graffiti was daubed on its walls and several graves were damaged.

It is said the remains were removed from the grave of the apothecary’s wife (some reports say daughter), Jenny Humberstone, who had died in 1770.

The bones were later found to have been placed on a crude alter and the skull impaled on a metal spike.

Shortly afterwards Jenny’s grave was further ransacked when her coffin – now empty – was broken up and scattered among the church ruins.

Six years later in 1969 the graveyard and church were attacked and desecrated on Midsummer’s Eve, leading many to believe it was the work of witches.

In 1975, the graves were once again opened with bones spread across the church floor, but there has been no disturbance since.


From Around the Web