In Peru, purple corn or maize has been eaten for at least 5000 years. This vegetable originates from South America. When eaten organically, it is a really healthy vegetable. Commercial corn has been too much modified and contains fewer nutrients and less medicinal benefits.
Organic corn can be used to prevent diabetes type 2, cardiovascular diseases, and some specific types of cancer. The fibers in corn help to regulate te blood sugar level. The vitamins B1, B5, and B6 have a positive effect on the blood sugar level as well.
Medicinal benefits of purple corn
In contrast with GM-modified commercial yellow corn, purple corn offers an astonishing amount of medicinal properties. Here is just a short list of scientific studies about the medicinal use of this ancient vegetable.
- This delicious vegetable contains a phytonutrient that triggers the production of an enzyme, angiotensin 1. This is a glycoprotein that lowers the risk for high blood pressure.
- Corn contains vitamin A, lutein, and zeaxanthin. The latter two are pre-cursors for vitamin A. The high amount of phytonutrients in corn help to prevent cataract.
- Purple corn contains anthocyanins which are considered a powerful antioxidant.
- A study shows that a cereal based on whole grain corn generates a positive effect on the gut microbiota. It has a better effect than whole grain cereal. Maize is a light probiotic.
- Chinese and Korean researchers published a study in 2015 in which they state that purple corn has medicinal benefits for people with diabetes type 2. It increases the release of insulin, repairs cells of the pancreas and is beneficial for the liver.
- A study from 2014 shows that purple corn has a possible medicinal benefit against diabetic cataract.
- A study of 2012 shows that bio-active compounds in purple corn have the ability to eliminate free radicals.
- A study from Thailand, published in 2015, shows that ginger root and corn together have a more beneficial effect for diabetic patients.
Bad corn products
Besides the fact that corn out of the supermarket is genetically modified in order to grow them only with the use of pesticides, there are more reasons not to eat any corn product.
Note that high processed products made out of corn are not healthy. Corn oil is not good to use in the kitchen. It contains too few omega 3. Coconut oil, palm oil or real butter is much better to use. Furthermore, High Fructose Corn Syrup is made out of corn. This product is heavily processed. It is synthesised; a pure chemical. The problem with eating sweetness without minerals and vitamins is that people don´t digest this kind of chemically refined sugar. It is stored in the liver and other organs. It will be stored there till there are enough nutrients in the body to digest this type of sugar. This is the main reason why people with obesity get well in any diet which forbids refined sugar or HFCS and promotes vegetables.
Beware of cans
Don´t ever eat corn out of a can. Scientific research shows that bisphenol A from the white, plastic coating inside cans make a chemical reaction with the content of the cans. Bisphenol A can be destructive in low dosages. It is not very hard to prepare a fresh corn. You cook and clean it. In this way, you add them to your meals. You might want to make a corn paste to prepare a corn bread on the stove. This is being done in Colombia. People call them arepa.
The degeneration of supermarket corn
Another possible corn danger is that nowadays scientists recognise the low amount of nutrients in food due to the use of unsustainable agricultural techniques. A group of scientists is trying to change corn genetically so that it contains more nutrients. It is more likely that this kind of applied science research is promoting some new commercial product that is needed to feed the new plant, in order to create the so-called extra nutritional benefits. In fact, what people are doing is the following: they want to strengthen a plant species that suffers from orchestrated degeneration. People could use another philosophy; instead of repairing an old, worn out, commercial crop because it turns out to be nutrient deficient and useless. You can turn to old corn types like purple corn which still hold all the medicinal benefits.
Medicinal kitchen use
Corn is a great source of carbs. You use it instead of potatoes or rice. You mix corn with beans and bake vegetables like tomatoes, onions, shallots, zucchini, root celery, leek, and bell pepper. Fresh corn tastes much better than corn out of a can. Fresh corn has medicinal benefits but canned corn makes people sick. Cold and boiled corn is perfect for a corn salad. Mix it with cucumber, spinach, nuts and seeds. Don´t forget this fact: It is an easy and surprisingly attractive plant in any garden. Therefore I say: grow your own fresh, organic corn and enjoy your medicine!
- Purple corn: www.sciencedirect.com
- Gut microbiota: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- GM-´foritify´: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Diabetes: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Bioactive compounds: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Diabetic cataract: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- Combination ginger: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov