When you start seeing gray hairs come in, whether you’re in your twenties or fifties when it happens, it might seem symbolic to you. Perhaps for you it symbolizes aging, the passing of time, wisdom accrued, or your own mortality. Gray hair, like wrinkles and other physical signs of age, is not something we should feel ashamed of. It is indeed our societal obsession with youth that drives the anti-aging business. However, if gray hair might sometimes be caused by more than just natural causes, might it also be reversed if those underlying factors are identified and treated? It’s possible.
The age at which we will get gray hair is said to be genetically predetermined. But many of us get gray hair before our genetically predetermined age – premature gray hair. So let’s first address some conditions that can cause hair to go gray before it is supposed to:
- Thyroid Disorders. A thyroid that doesn’t function properly can wreak havoc on the entire body and the hair is no exception. Several thyroid disorders, including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, Hashimoto’s disease, and Grave’s disease have been linked with an accelerated pace of graying hair.
- Anemia. Anemia that is caused from a vitamin B12 deficiency can cause hair to turn gray. Vitamin B12, which is predominantly found in animal products, might be low in your body if you do not eat animal products or if you have a condition that affects the ability of your stomach to absorb this vitamin.
- Smoking. Cigarette smoking is said to contribute to going gray earlier than necessary.
- Early Menopause. Early onset of menopause can cause hair to go gray before it has to.
Natural Cures For Gray Hair
So if you have any of these issues, your gray hair might have turned silver before it was destined to. Whether or not that is the case, these natural cures for gray hair have been supported anecdotally.
- Vitamin B12. Since a deficiency in this can cause premature gray hair, make sure you’re getting enough. If you do not eat animal products, it is important that you supplement this vitamin or eat foods that have been fortified with it.
- Raw food diet. Many proponents of raw foodism have claimed that their gray hair began to reverse back to its original color after they adopted a raw diet.
- Copper-rich foods. Researchers have found that people who go gray prematurely have lower copper levels than those who don’t. So stock up on copper-rich foods like leafy greens, nuts, beans, bananas, avocadoes, and grapes.
- Alcohol and caffeine. Reduce your intake of alcohol and caffeine for optimal results in reversing your gray hair naturally. Both of these substances, which are highly dehydrating, have been linked to poor skin and hair health. In addition to that, gray hair can sometimes be caused by stress and stress levels can be negatively impacted by caffeine and alcohol, as well.
Can a Green Smoothie Reverse Gray Hair?
- Blend 60% fruit to 40% greens in a blender.
- Keep in mind that cucumber, tomato and bell peppers are fruits.
- You can start to mix more fruits and greens as you become confident in your flavor combinations.
- Add water and/or high-water content fruits first.
- Then add greens, blend again.
- Blend different fruits and greens every day.
- Try different combinations and find what tastes best to you
- 2 bunches bok choy
- 1 handful arugula
- 2 oranges
- 1 mandarin
- A few shavings fresh ginger (about a quarter inch)
- Half tsp. blue green algae powder
- Half tsp. chlorella powder
- 1 capsule probiotic powder
- Half lime, squeezed
- 1 cup water