In the modern era, we are exposed to many different harmful chemicals on a daily basis. Workplaces and restaurants all have to adhere to certain safety measures to ensure that workers and customers alike are not exposed to dangerous amounts of these substances.
However, just as many toxic chemicals can be found in your home as well. This is why I’m going to tell you about five common household items that you need to get rid of to improve your health and the natural alternatives that you can replace them with.
Many people think that they are doing their body justice when swapping sugar for one of its alternatives. Although there are many healthy natural sweeteners out there, the most commonly used ones tend to be a lot worse for you than sugar. If you have any of the following sweeteners, throw them out immediately:
- Acesulfame K may be carcinogenic, causes tumors and affects pregnancy
- Aspartame has been linked to skin cancers and can be deadly for people with phenylketonuria
- Saccharin, may cause bladder cancer, is indigestible and gets excreted by the liver unchanged
- Sorbitol, is only partially digested in the intestines, causes diarrhea, bloating and gas
- Instead, replace these artificial sweeteners with ones that can be naturally found and cultivated without refining. This includes:
- Yacon syrup feeds good bacteria in intestines and can help fight against constipation
- Xylitol, can improve bone density and reduce risk of tooth decay
- Erythritol has no effect on blood sugar, insulin or cholesterol levels
- Stevia can lower blood pressure and blood sugar
Plastic Bottles And Food Containers
Many studies have linked Bisphenol A to having adverse health effects. In 2010 the FDA changed their stance on the chemical, expressing “some concern” over its effects on the brain, behavior and prostate glands in fetuses, babies, and young children.
Instead of using disposable plastic water bottles, opt for reusable metal or glass ones. The same goes for food containers. Not only are you saving the environment, but you’re keeping your body safe as well.
Air fresheners are often advertised as being able to rid your house of pungent odors and noxious gas. However, recent research suggests that the fumes emitted from air freshener cans are actually more dangerous than cigarette smoke. These fumes have also been found to cause many health problems:
- Respiratory conditions such as asthma
- Hormone imbalance
- Cancers- One study showed that common air fresheners contain a “considerable” amount of formaldehyde, which the United States classifies as a “known human carcinogen.” Overexposure to air fresheners has been linked to cancers of the nose and throat.
A natural alternative to conventional air fresheners is the use of essential oils. Not only are they effective at creating pleasant aromas, but they have also been proven to be able to provide numerous health benefits as well. One study found that inhaling rosemary oil could improve your mood and stimulate the nervous system.
To use essential oils as an air freshener, add 10 to 15 drops of essential oil into a spray bottle with approximately one cup of distilled water. Spray this around the house as your would a conventional air freshener.
Commercial Cleaning Products
The average household usually has a variety of cleaning products for many different parts of the house. Although cleaning substances are necessary to keep your house free from the build up of harmful bacteria, most commercial cleaning products have been linked to many health problems, such as:
- Respiratory disorders and asthma
- Hormone disruptors- Studies found that these cleaning products include substances such as parabens, triclosan, phthalates, and BPA.
Thankfully, vinegar and baking soda provide natural antimicrobial cleaning properties without the same side effects as commercial cleaners. One study found that they were effective against a variety of bacteria including staph, salmonella, and E.coli.
The Humble Toothpaste
Unfortunately, the innocent looking toothpaste found in a regular household holds many scary secrets! With ingredients such as Saccharin and Fluoride, both carcinogens (cancer causing), toothpaste is not something you would want anywhere near your mouth.
Saccharin- an artificial sweetener, mentioned above. It is said to be approximately 350 times sweeter than sugar. Considered to be a human carcinogen, so it’s something to keep away from!
Fluoride- Another human carcinogen, fluoride can have a myriad of unhealthy effects; from causing cavities to severely damaging your thyroid. Find out how using coconut oil could be the healthy alternative to supermarket toothpaste you never even thought of.
Anti-dandruff shampoo like Head and Shoulders “Dry Scalp 2-in-1” product contain methylchloroisothiazolinone, which is a suspected mutagen. They also contain ammonium laureth sulfate, which, although won’t cause any health problems on its own (apart from stinging if it gets in your eye), can sometimes be contaminated during the manufacturing process such as 1,4-dioxane. Early rat studies found that this contaminant causes cancer, and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has said it’s reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen as well.
There certainly is a reason they prevent your clothes from getting eaten by moths- they’re highly toxic! Containing an ingredient called Naphthalene, these innocent looking balls can cause many healthy problems, such as:
- Kidney and liver damage
- Hemolytic Anemia (it destroys red blood cells!)
- Can cause cancer in animals- so keep them well away from pets! This means it has been labeled a human carcinogen, but there is no sound proof that they are directly linked to one another.
Try creating this DIY, all natural moth ball to prevent holes in socks without the use of chemicals! Find it here!
Antibacterial soap certainly sounds like it’s going to do what it says- get rid of bacteria and nasty germs! However, recent studies by the FDA have shown that these soaps contain an ingredient called Triclosan, which:
- Interferes with hormone levels in animals
- Spurs the growth of drug-resistant bacteria- yikes!
- Increases risk of infertility, early puberty, and cancer.
Avoid using chemical ridden soaps and opt for a more natural approach. .
Flea and Tick Treatment
You might think you’re helping your beloved pooch out, but unfortunately, flea and tick treatments may be more harmful than helpful! Tests on laboratory animals have shown an enormous amount of problems with the substance Fipronil, found in many liquid fleas and tick treatments. This product can cause:
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Mild Skin irritation
- Seizures and dizziness
- Considered a ‘possible human carcinogen’.
Discover some all-natural ways to prevent your pets from getting fleas or ticks here!
So if you haven’t done it already, get to it! Ditch these common household products to prevent so many health problems that you could do without.
dailymail.co.uk / ncbi.nlm.nih.gov / www.nhs.uk / www.webmd.com / www.webmd.com ncbi.nlm.nih.gov theheartysoul.com / theheartysoul.com / npic.orst.edu / gardenista.com / fda.gov theheartysoul / npic.orst.edu / petmd.com